During 2011, First Things published over 200 articles in our print edition that were available on our website. The following were the top ten most read:
1. The Trouble with Ayn Rand, David Bentley Hart
Civilization teeters on the brink: they’ve made a movie of Atlas Shrugged.
2. The Truth About Greenhouse Gases, William Happer
The dubious science of the climate crusaders.
3. The Moral Economy of Guilt, Wilfred M. McClay
The curious process by which notions of sin and guilt have become both illusory and omnipresent.
4. Thinking About Aging, Gilbert Meilaender
It is right to want to live longer, if we don’t want life simply for its own sake.
5. The Preferential Option for the Poor, R.R. Reno
The Public Square
6. The Enduring Irving Kristol, Wilfred M. McClay
The skeptical yet hopeful father of neoconservatism.
7. The End of the Bernardin Era, George Weigel
The rise, dominance, and decline of a culturally accommodating Catholicism.
8. Restoring The Words, Anthony Esolen
The new translation of the Mass restores its beauty and splendor.
9. Evangelicals Divided, Gerald McDermott
The battle between Meliorists and Traditionists to define evangelicalism.
10. Fig Leaves and Falsehoods, Janet E. Smith
Pace Thomas Aquinas, sometimes we need to deceive.