Interview on PBS’ Charlie Rose, July 5, 2002.
Interview on Canadian News Network CBC, December 2007.
Interview on C-SPAN’s Booknotes about his book, "As I Lay Dying: Meditations Upon Returning," May 26, 2002.
Discussion Panel for the Hudson Institute’s Bradley Symposium titled "Who Are We Today," May 3, 2007.
Lecture at Roanoke College entitled "Moral Imperatives and Political Choices: A Christian Response," October 9, 2008.
Lecture, "Who We Are: A Theological Perspective" at the University of Kentucky, 2005.
Lecture, "Is There Life After Truth?" at Yale University, 1996.
- American Babylon: Notes of a Christian Exile (2009)
- Catholic Matters: Confusion, Controversy, and the Splendor of Truth (2007)
- The Best of the Public Square: Book 3 (2007)
- As I Lay Dying: Meditations Upon Returning (2003)
- Your Word is Truth: A Project of Evangelicals and Catholics Together (2002)
- The Chosen People in an Almost Chosen Nation: Jews and Judaism in America (2002)
- Death on a Friday Afternoon: Meditations on the Last Words of Jesus from the Cross (2001)
- The Best of the Public Square: Book 2 (2001)
- The Second One Thousand Years: Ten People Who Defined a Millennium (2001)
- There We Stood, Here We Stand: Eleven Lutherans Rediscover Their Catholic Roots (2001)
- The Eternal Pity: Reflections on Dying (2000)
- Appointment In Rome: The Church in America Awakening (1999)
- The Best of the Public Square (1997)
- The End of Democracy?: The Celebrated First Things Debate, With Arguments Pro and Con and "the Anatomy of a Controversy" (1997)
- To Empower People: From State to Civil Society (1996)
- Freedom for Ministry: A Guide for the Perplexed Who Are Called to Serve (1992)
- America Against Itself: Moral Vision and the Public Order (1992)
- Doing Well & Doing Good: The Challenge to the Christian Capitalist (1992)
- Guaranteeing the Good Life: Medicine and the Return of Eugenics (1990)
- Reinhold Niebuhr Today (1989)
- Believing Today: Jew and Christian in Conversation (1989)
- The Catholic Moment: The Paradox of the Church in the Postmodern World (1987)
- Jews in Unsecular America (1987)
- Democracy and the Renewal of Public Education (1987)
- Piety and Politics: Evangelicals and Fundamentalists Confront the World (1987)
- Dispensations: The Future of South Africa As South Africans See It (1986)
- Confession, Conflict, and Community (1986)
- The Naked Public Square: Religion and Democracy in America (1986)
- Unsecular America (1986)
- Against the World for the World: The Hartford Appeal and the Future of American Religion (1976)
- Time Toward Home: The American Experiment as Revelation (1975)
- In Defense of People: Ecology and the Seduction of Radicalism (1971)
- Movement and Revolution (1970)