As you may or may not remember, last week was Pledge Week. This week (or what's left of it) is Still Another Pledge Week . . . week.
Most such campaigns promise to send you some premium in exchange for a fat donation. We, on the other hand, promise not to send you any of the following items that I managed to cull from our supply closet, old coffee cans, and under office furniture should you favor us with a similarly corpulent contribution:
• A First Things bowling jacket, size XXL (name tag: Gus)
• The official First Things first thing (not quite sure what it is . . . looks like a very old Etch A Sketch)
• A VHS copy of the "Felix and Oscar Join a Fat Farm" episode of The Odd Couple
• A Miguel de Molinos inaction figure (original packaging, slight tear in lower left-hand corner)
• A red biretta
• An inoperable Beretta
• An 8'x10" production still from Baretta
• A hotel register with Aimee Semple Macpherson's signature and IOU
So please, for your sake as well as ours, dig deep, deep (or, better yet, deeply, deeply) into your pocketsor one of these treasures might just be yours.