The Christian Century asked eight theologians to name the five Essential theology books of the past 25 years . Stanley Hauerwas will be the theologian most familiar to First Things readers, and he chose:
- George A. Lindbeck, The Nature of Doctrine: Religion and Theology in a Postliberal Age
- John Howard Yoder, The Priestly Kingdom: Social Ethics as Gospel
- Robert Jenson, Systematic Theology
- James Wm. McClendon Jr., Systematic Theology
- John Milbank, Theology and Social Theory: Beyond Secular Reason
Lawrence S. Cunningham includes David Bentley Hart’s The Beauty of the Infini te .