Merry Christmas, dear readers! As you prepare for 2020, take a moment to revisit some of our top essays from 2019. The following list is sorted by pageviews, with separate sections for print articles and web exclusives.
Our 25 Most Popular Print Articles:
1. Back Row America, Chris Arnade
2. Taleb the Philosopher, Joshua P. Hochschild
3. Crimes in Concrete, Theodore Dalrymple
4. A New Conservative Agenda, Daniel McCarthy
5. Why I Became Muslim, Jacob Williams
6. Catholicism Made Me Protestant, Onsi A. Kamel
7. A Certain Idea of France, Peter Hitchens
8. Giving the Boot, Sohrab Ahmari
9. A Failing Papacy, R. R. Reno
10. False Feminism, Katherine Kersten
11. Restoration, Michel Houellebecq and Geoffroy Lejeune
12. The True Con, Matthew Schmitz
13. Opiate of the Theologians, Michael McClymond
14. The Outsider, Matthew Rose
15. Harrowing Hart on Hell, Douglas Farrow
16. Immigration Idealism, Matthew Schmitz
17. Bodily Curiosities, Joseph Epstein
18. The Caudillo, Peter Hitchens
19. Letter to an Aspiring Priest, Thomas Joseph White
20. The New American Right, Sohrab Ahmari
21. Bourgeois Vice, Matthew Schmitz
22. Islam Made Me Christian, Alessandra Bocchi
23. How to Regulate Pornography, Terry Schilling
24. The Demon in Middlebury, Ryszard Legutko
25. Fear of the Word, Hans Boersma
Our 25 Most Popular Web Exclusives:
1. Against David French-ism, Sohrab Ahmari
2. Kissing Christianity Goodbye, Carl R. Trueman
3. Against the Dead Consensus, Various
4. Benedict and the Scandal, Charles J. Chaput
5. Two Popes, Too Many Untruths, John Waters
6. The Pell Affair: Australia Is Now On Trial, George Weigel
7. Porn Is Not a Blessing of Liberty, Josh Hammer
8. Evangelical Elites Are Out of Touch, Carl R. Trueman
9. Excommunicate Cuomo, Ed Condon
10. Don’t See Joker, Alexi Sargeant
11. Trans Men Erase Women, Charlotte Allen
12. Pope Francis Forgets, Dan Hitchens
13. The New Family Violence, Douglas Farrow
14. The Australian Disgrace, George Weigel
15. The Ratzinger Diagnosis, George Weigel
16. Hitler the Progressive, Peter Hitchens
17. Statement on the New York State Abortion Law of 2019, Evangelicals and Catholics Together
18. Benedict and His Critics, Gerhard Ludwig Cardinal Müller
19. The Amazon Synod Is a Sign of the Times, Douglas Farrow
20. A German Attack on Christ’s Lordship, Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke
21. The Case for Keeping Trump, Peter J. Leithart
22. Abortion and Eugenics, Clarence Thomas
23. Cardinal Pell, Scapegoat, Matthew Schmitz
24. The Most Anti-Christian Country on Earth, John Waters
25. Is Pope Francis a Heretic?, Thomas Weinandy, OFM Cap.
In 2020, we’ll bring you more of the same—but not without your support. For more outstanding writing on religion and public life in the new year, please make a donation today!
We launched the First Things 2023 Year-End Campaign to keep articles like the one you just read free of charge to everyone.
Measured in dollars and cents, this doesn't make sense. But consider who is able to read First Things: pastors and priests, college students and professors, young professionals and families. Last year, we had more than three million unique readers on firstthings.com.
Informing and inspiring these people is why First Things doesn't only think in terms of dollars and cents. And it's why we urgently need your year-end support.
Will you give today?