During 2011, First Things published over 200 articles in our print edition that were available on our website. The following were the top ten most read:
1. The Trouble with Ayn Rand , David Bentley Hart
Civilization teeters on the brink: theyve made a movie of Atlas Shrugged.
2. The Truth About Greenhouse Gases , William Happer
The dubious science of the climate crusaders.
3. The Moral Economy of Guilt , Wilfred M. McClay
The curious process by which notions of sin and guilt have become both illusory and omnipresent.
4. Thinking About Aging , Gilbert Meilaender
It is right to want to live longer, if we dont want life simply for its own sake.
5. The Preferential Option for the Poor , R.R. Reno
The Public Square
6. The Enduring Irving Kristol , Wilfred M. McClay
The skeptical yet hopeful father of neoconservatism.
7. The End of the Bernardin Era , George Weigel
The rise, dominance, and decline of a culturally accommodating Catholicism.
8. Restoring The Words , Anthony Esolen
The new translation of the Mass restores its beauty and splendor.
9. Evangelicals Divided , Gerald McDermott
The battle between Meliorists and Traditionists to define evangelicalism.
10. Fig Leaves and Falsehoods , Janet E. Smith
Pace Thomas Aquinas, sometimes we need to deceive.